Friday, May 23, 2008

Exposed...

Back in India, when I was naive and ignorant about the ..emmm....about everything...I used to wonder why the girls always ran away from the guy in a song scene. You'd see them dancing together, then the guy try to get to the girl...he'll stretch out his hand..and BOOM!! there she jets off!!!!! I used to leave the room when a sanitary napkin advertisement came on. I used to look behind me as though someone was calling me when a guy and a girl got within 2 inches of each other and looked into each other's eyes with passion (?).

When I came to America (8 and a half yrs ago), I couldn't really get out of the classroom when a sex scene was on tv, when an animal was giving birth, when two people were getting on each other, etc. Yes, I've seen all those with in the first year that I was here. You know what I used to do? I used to bow my head and look up every 15 seconds to make sure that it's SAFE. Most of the time, it wasn't!!!!

Today, in a span of one hour..I saw two women making out, a guy and a woman having sex, a woman in a PRETTY revealing bikini, a woman half-naked, a guy in an underwear dancing, and so on. (I was watching 'abc'. Heck!!! We don't even have cable) It's quite interesting to see what I've been habituated to in a span of 8 and a half years.

I used to be embarassed at watching even a kissing scene infront of my (nonchalant) classmates. Now, I feel the same nonchalance as I'm watching the above with my brother in the same room. I'm thinking "He's seen worse. I've seen worse."

When my fellow Indians criticize a woman who's wearing a top equivalent to a bra and a revealing bottom, I'm thinking..."Pssh..I've seen worse."

I don't know who to blame! I don't know if I should really blame anyone!! :D

4 comments:

Arun Sundar said...

Who's the woman who's wearing a top equivalent to a bra and a revealing bottom?

Absconding said...

I've seen MANY actresses in song scenes with that kinda 'attires'.. especially in tamil movies..not so much in malu movies! But I DID see such a thing from an 80's malu movie, yesterday! Bollywood is all about taking tops off..ain't it!

Raz said...

well... i guess.. its a change all of us have undergone this. even in india this is happening. my cousin whos in 10th has seen worse than i.

its jus called FAST MOVING WORLD! i guess.

Absconding said...

quite scary, isn't it?? *shudder*