Sunday, April 20, 2008

My Country vs. My Country

*The intention of this post is not to degrade India or the United States of America. These are purely my personal opinions and have developed through my experiences. Opinions are like a$$h@le$, everyone has them.*

Which country do you like better: India or America?

I've been asked this particular question a plethora of times that I feel like I should carry around a notecard explaining my stand to present it to the enquirer. To tell you the truth, I can't pick one country over the other. Both country has its pros and cons. I have a special inclination toward India because I was born there and it's my mother country. I have a special inclination toward America because it molded me into the being that I am today. I will try to list the cons and pros of each countries...but I'll never be able to pick one over the other! Both are equally bad! Well..may be I should say that both are equally good! :D

India (pros)

The rich culture, morals, and values that India stand for is mindblowing. It is a beautiful country filled with beautiful people. I doubt that the sense of family and togetherness can be seen anywhere else. The people are extremely intelligent and educated as well. You can see the entire world in India alone. The history and the past of India is unique and it is what makes the country so beautiful. Your neighbors and more or less like your family. We are very social beings who help each other out during troubled times. The authentic food is beyond delicious. Indians are extremely hospitable. It is where family is. It is where friends are. It is where my roots are. It is where I can find myself.

America (pros)

Obviously, it is the land of opportunities. I learned so much about so many things after coming to America. I was able to get a new perspective (may be became a bit liberal, which is very different from the right conservative views in India) after coming here. You can be anything that you want to be at any age. You are taught to be independent and responsible at a very young age. You are encouraged to be yourself and be proud of it too. You are presented with anything and everything...and if you use those resources well, you can succeed beyond your imagniation. If you want to get something done, you can have it done in the shortest time possible. If you are a citizen, you can enter certain countries without a visa.

India (cons)

It goes without saying that India's political infrastructure may be one of the most corrupted in the world. Politicians don't give a damn about the people. People can't rely on the authorities. The riots between political parties is so unbearable that I am forced to think of murdering some politicians. It takes forever to get something done. You have to bribe everyone from the peon to the head of the management to get a paperwork done. The administrators who are supposed to work for the people, spend the people's money for their own benefit..hence, the people end up getting screwed over and continue to live in the most pathetic of lifestyle. It's heart breaking to watch the riots between people of different religious beliefs. The climate is unbearable.

America (cons)

The fact that everything is available to everyone without much restriction is definitely a drawback. Family, relationships, togetherness, etc. are not given much importance. It is a very individualistic society. You can get very caught up in the fast paced life that you might tend to forget about family commitments - there seems to be no time to do much of leisurely activities espeically if you have a family. What you make here, you spend here! Americans (in some 'conservative' areas) have become xenophobic. You have a long lasting relationship with your mortgage and credit card companies.


Every country has its pros and cons. That doesn't mean that one is better than the other. Evaluating a country is purely subjective and it varies from one individual to another. I love India. I love America. Don't ask me which one I like the best. Don't ask me which one I prefer. Don't ask me to choose. I can't and I won't!

Random: My dream is to go back to India one day and establish a setting to help the needy (something in the medical field - may be build a hospital or something). I actually want to travel the world! I wonder if the latter will ever come true!! *Sigh*

2 comments:

Raz said...

>:D< st from the heart..

n the coming back here n setting up something for a noble cause is really cute da.

Absconding said...

@ raz

awww..thanks machi!! :D It's a dream..and hopefully it'll come true one day! :D