Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Jan. 06, 2009

Jan. 06, 2009
Medical school is not easy. The amount of information that the lecturers bombard the students with at one time is so extensive that it is quite common to see confused faces all around. For example, in an hour and a half time period, our teacher had gone through so many different topics that I just gave up on listening or even understanding the old Indian male teacher. When the class was over, I was aghast – we went through 87 slides in a span of an hour and a half. Having my laptop in front of me SURELY did not help because I was on orkut, facebook, ValueMD, and other horribly distracting yet essential to live websites. Oh. Today (Jan. 6th) was just the first day of classes. I had already studied for about 3 hours already. I plan to study for another 2 hours. That’s about 5 hours of studying A NIGHT. I had NEVER done that even before the day/week before the finals…EVER.

I was fortunate today because I did not have Anatomy lab. Thus, I was able to start studying earlier (around 4pm). Lab (starting tomorrow) will last until 5pm. We’ll be having some person to cadaver quality time. That will force me to take a (or even multiple) long shower for the rest of the semester. May be it will cure me from gluttony. Whatever the case. I may not be able to start studying until 7pm. If I must study for 5 hours every night, that means that I am looking to sleep around 1am.

Well. That might not be so bad. I have been lying down to sleep around 10pm every night for the past few days. After the donkey’s cries, paranoia from rattling noises, barking of the dogs that apparently have some kind of batteries in them to give them energy to bark all night, loud music…I usually slept around 12am. Oh, before I forget let me just tell you that roosters are just plain evil. The blessed rooster next to my house crows from 3:30 EVERY FREAKING MORNING on a 15 minute interval and it won’t stop crowing even after I leave for college. Coelho said that the whole world conspires to help you achieve your dream. Hell, that surely ain’t happening at this point!

But I am content. I feel like I have finally realized what I want to do with my life. My family is great. I am so thankful to have someone who cares so much about me and loves me that I often wonder if I’m living a dream. He alone has made me realize that not all men are spineless and cowards.

Life is a journey. In that journey, we will have to face many obstacles. As we overcome those obstacles, we become better and stronger persons. I hope to come out of this experience as a better person. When I do find myself discouraged, I know that there are those who actually care enough about me to motivate me and encourage me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All the best Merin.. you will do well and trust me you can.. keep rocking..

m said...

Hmmmmm....great...so if u feel sleepy then think that there is someone out there in Europe who also wants to stay up in the night and finish writing up the thesis...If i feel sleepy definitely i will think about ur 5 hrs of studying....

Absconding said...

:) Thanks EKG dearest! :)

Ela darling...

:D I surely will be thinking of you...you will definitely serve as a motivation for me!! :) Hopefully thoughts about me won't put you to sleep! haha!

AMIT said...

Wow you are doing good thing and keep it up.

Boise real estate

Gaumau said...

well it seems that you really got into studies.. no real blogging since jan 6th. nice article though.. tells me a lot about you.